Light Stream Mechanic Apprenticeship
The position as a light stream mechanic apprentice encompasses learning all aspects of servicing, repair and rebuilding of a vast variety of outdoor power equipment. The successful candidate will be trained to be experienced in working with both two and four stroke machines and to a lesser degree, diesel engines.
Due to the unique nature of our dealership the range of equipment that you will work on is quite vast from small hand held powertools and power products, to specialised concreting machinery, agricultural machinery, two and four wheel drive ride on mowers, earthmoving equipment, elevated work platforms, trailers and much more. Technology includes but isn’t limited to two and four stroke engines, battery powered units, fuel injected two and four strokes, robotic mowers, smart technology connected machinery and more. You will also work on areas such as electrics, electronics, hydraulics, braking systems, suspension and much more.
The apprenticeship is for 4 years, with it being commenced after successful completion of a three month work trial. At six months a final assessment of your work trial will be carried out.
The training will be done both on site and off with the apprenticeship being carried out by a registered training organisation. Further training will also be supplied by some of our leading suppliers such as John Deere, Stihl and Briggs and Stratton. Some portions of the supplier training will be done online at the dealership.
You will work under supervision from our service manager and other leading technicians who will guide you through all aspects of your training.
The position will cover all aspects of a service position and everything encompassed by that. Mostly all service work will be carried out in our workshop, but occasionally on-site repairs will need to be done. The service work will encompass all retail jobs as well as assisting with other staff to maintain, repair and rebuild our hire fleet.
You will spend time both in the retail section of our workshop and our hire side exposing you to a much larger range of machinery, technology, and critical components to work on.
Due to the nature of the position you will be expected to learn how to use and read illustrated parts lists online, quote workshop repairs and more.
Customer interaction is an essential part of the position to work with clients with service quotes and issues, general inquiries, hire assistance and counter sales if and when required.
We have a vast product area to work with which includes all outdoor power equipment such as chainsaws, brushcutters and mowers, concreting and construction equipment, spraying equipment, axes and knives, farm and garden equipment and a lot of other specialised machinery. Our hire business also has a large range of specialised equipment. All the brands that we represent are reputable, world class, leaders in their field.
Requirements and conditions of employment
- Mechanical aptitude
- Subject to Police check
- 6 month job trial applicable, assessed first at 3 months and finally at 6 months.
- Signed copy of the company policy handbook.
Personal profile requirements
Personality- Self-driven, confident, results orientated person with a positive outlook. Must have a clear focus on high quality and attention to detail. The person must be reliable, tolerant to different situations and people, and keen to learn new experiences, and responsibilities. You must be well presented, and able to fit in and work with others as a team player and as an individual when required.
Specific job skills- You must be able to lift heavy items when required. You must already have an aptitude for the the service work required as mentioned above.
Computer skills- We run a fully networked computer system linked in with the brands we represent. You must be computer literate.
Literacy & Numeracy-Literacy and numeracy skills are essential. The applicant must also be fluent in English.
You must be an excellent face to face and telephone communicator. You must be able to liase and deal with a wide variety of people and situations.
You must have an honest, professional work ethic. You will need to be open minded about your approach to jobs and be open to suggestion from others as to how to go about a particular job. You will possess a desire to learn and achieve and be dedicated to producing the best outcome.
- Retail Work
- Inventory & Stock Control
- Customer Relations
- Complete each job as assigned. Service and tunes, repairs, rebuilds, product assemble, pre deliveries.
- Repair machines as required under warranty repair.
- Wash and detail machinery as required.
- Learn how to use illustrated parts lists.
- Learn chargeable rates and times.
Inventory & Stock Control
- Learn and understand inventory management.
- Learn stock control, parts ordering, and spare parts programs.
- Liase with customers when required for service issues, hire and general inquiries.
- Complete hire transactions including handover and return of fleet items.
- Learn all the fleet units, their applications and how to use them.
- Learn the safe use of all hire items and instruct people as to their application and use.
- Load and unload any machines as required.
- Learn the phone system and how to liase with people via phone.
- Inspect all hire fleet units upon return. Check for safe use and operation, all controls working, satisfactory safety mechanisms, correct fitting of accessories and features and a general complete and proper inspection.
- Service, repair, rebuild and check over hire machinery as required.
- Monitor all fleet units to ensure consumables are attached as required.
- Ensure all fleet units have relevant warning stickers fitted.
- Wash all hire equipment upon return if necessary.
- Monitor condition of all units on a continual basis. Always be on the lookout for faults, maintenance, and safety issues.
- Service all fleet units as per individual machine requirements.
- General housekeeping is a shared responsibility with all workshop and general staff
- Be mindful of potential hazards and report to management
- Representation as required at open/field days and manufacturer events. This sometimes may include Saturday afternoon, Sunday and evening work.
- Respond with urgency and efficiency to delegated tasks as requested by company management and staff as daily tasks or situations arise.
- Ensure all company policies (as per in company handbook) and procedures are followed at all times.
- Operate all point of sale machines.
- Attend all training sessions both onsite and externally when required.
- Pick up and deliver workshop jobs if licensed.
- Assist with general yard duties and housekeeping when required.
- Be aware of occupational health and safety issues and abide by all systems and procedures. Ensure all work is performed in accordance with strict safety procedures.
- Read all the relevant technical information that is passed on by our suppliers.
- Work with all team members to ensure harmony.
In general the position is as varied as it is interesting. We have a very large product range and customer base. We are very proactive about increasing and improving our business and market share. We market, promote and advertise our business regularly to ensure future success. Our company has grown rapidly over the past five years, which has seen our product lines, premises and staff grow.
As employers we provide a fun and safe work environment. We will provide a secure job with good conditions that will provide a mutually beneficial relationship. We will provide all the necessary training for all aspects of the business both in house and externally.
We are a tight knit group that works well as a team. We encourage having a good time whilst doing the job well. We’re an enthusiastic team of mixed ages that strives hard to be successful. Our business is quite unique and because of that no two days are the same. Every day sees a new challenge.
- To see a little more about us visit our website at vctraders.com.au check our social pages on Facebook & Instagram and see our Youtube channel.